I almost hate to read this.
Would we rather bury our heads in the sand or in our hands in prayer to God?
“I just don’t want to think about it.” But I better.
Granted, this was written to the ancient Jews.
But, out of curiosity, do you listen diligently to the LORD and follow Him?
Have these United States of America enjoyed similar blessings as those that were upon ancient Israel?
We reap what we sow.
Whatever comes, be in Him and hold fast to Him, for He will care for you.
[14 Verses of Blessings]
(1) And it shall come to pass, if you shall listen diligently to the voice of the LORD your God, to observe and to do all His commandments which I command you this day, that the LORD your God will set you on high above all nations of the earth:
(2) And all these blessings shall come on you, and overtake you, if you shall listen to the voice of the LORD your God.
(3) You shall be blessed
- in the city
- in the field.
(4) Blessed shall be the
- fruit of your body,
- fruit of your ground,
- fruit of your cattle,
- increase of your cows,
- flocks of your sheep.
(5) Blessed shall be
- your basket
- your store.
(6) You shall be blessed when
- you come in and
- you go out
(7) The LORD shall cause your enemies who rise up against you to
- be smitten before your face:
- come out against you one way,
- flee before you seven ways
(8) The LORD shall command the blessing upon you
- in your storehouses, and
- in all that you set your hand unto; and
- in the land which the LORD your God gives you
(9) The LORD shall establish you a holy people to Himself, as He has sworn to you, if you
- keep the commandments of the LORD your God
- walk in His ways
(10) And all people of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the LORD
- they shall be afraid of you.
(11) And the LORD shall make you plentiful
- in goods,
- in the fruit of your body,
- and in the fruit of your cattle,
- and in the fruit of your ground,
- in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give you.
(12) The LORD shall
- open to you His good treasure,
- open to you the heaven to give the rain to your land in His season,
- and to bless all the work of your hand:
- and you shall lend to many nations,
- and you shall not borrow.
(13) If you [listen, observe, and do] My commandments, you shall
- be the head, and not the tail
- be above only, and you shall not be beneath
(14) And you shall not
- go aside from any of the words which I command you this day, to the right hand, or left
- follow other gods to serve them.
[55 Verses of cursing]
(15) But it shall come to pass, if you will not listen to the voice of the LORD your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes which I command you this day; that all these curses shall come upon you, and overtake you:
(16) You shall be cursed
- in the city
- in the field
(17) Cursed shall be your
(18) Cursed shall be the
- fruit of your body
- fruit of your land
- increase of your cows
- flocks of your sheep
(19) You shall be cursed
- when you come in
- when you go out.
(20) The LORD shall send upon all that you set your hand to do
- quick death
(21) The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave to you, until He has consumed you from the land you go to possess.
(22) The LORD shall smite you with
- extreme burning
- pursuit till you are dead
(23) And your heaven that is over your head shall be brass, and the earth that is under you shall is iron [no rain = baked, hard ground]
(24) The LORD shall make the rain of your land powder and dust: from heaven shall it comes down upon you, until you are destroyed.
(25) The LORD shall cause you to
- be smitten before your enemies:
- flee seven ways before them
- be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.
(26) No man shall scare away from your carcasses the
- fowls of the air
- beasts of the earth
(27) The LORD will smite you and you will not be healed from the
- boils of Egypt
- hemorrhoidal tumors
(28) The LORD shall smite you with
- astonishment of heart
(29) No man shall save you. And you shall
- grope at noonday, as the blind gropes in darkness
- not prosper in your ways
- be only oppressed and spoiled evermore
(30) You shall
- betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her
- build a house, and not dwell in it
- plant a vineyard, and not gather its grapes
- your ox shall be slain before your eyes, and you shall not eat of it
- your ass shall be violently taken from before your face, and shall not be restored
- your sheep shall be given to your enemies, and you shall have no one to rescue them
(32) Your sons and your daughters shall be given to another people, and your eyes shall look, and fail with longing for them all the daylong: and there shall be no might in your hand:
(33) The fruit of your land, and all your labors, shall a nation which you do not know eat up; and you shall be only oppressed and crushed always:
(34) So that you shall be mad for the sight of your eyes which you shall see.
(35) The LORD shall smite you in the
- with a sore boil that cannot be healed, from the sole of your foot to the top of your head
(36) The LORD shall bring you, and your king which you shall set over you, to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known; and there you shall serve other gods, wood and stone.
(37) And among all nations where the LORD shall lead you, you shall become
- an astonishment
- a proverb
- a byword
(38) You shall carry much seed out into the field, and shall gather but little in; for the locust shall consume it.
(39) You shall plant vineyards, and dress them, but shall neither drink of the wine, nor gather the grapes; for the worms shall eat them.
(40) You shall have olive trees throughout all your coasts, but you shall not anoint yourself with the oil; for your olive shall cast its fruit.
(41) You shall beget sons and daughters, but you shall not enjoy them; for they shall go into captivity.
(42) The locust will consume all your trees and the fruit of your land.
(43) The stranger who is within you shall get up above you very high; and you shall come down very low.
(44) He shall lend to you, and you shall not lend to him: he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail.
(45) Moreover all these curses shall come upon you, and shall pursue you, and overtake you, until you are destroyed; because you did not listen to the voice of the LORD your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you:
(46) And they shall be upon you for a sign and for a wonder, and upon your seed forever.
(47) Because you did not serve the LORD your God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things;
(48) He shall put a yoke of iron upon your neck, until He has destroyed you. Therefore you shall serve your enemies which the LORD shall send against you, in
- want of all things
(49) The LORD shall bring a nation against you from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flies; a nation whose tongue you shall not understand;
(50) A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor show favor to the young:
(51) Until he destroys you, he shall
- eat the fruit of your cattle
- eat the fruit of your land, until you are destroyed
- not leave you either corn, wine, or oil, or the increase of your cows, or flocks of your sheep.
(52) And he shall besiege you in all your gates, until your high and fenced walls come down, wherein you trusted, throughout all your land: and he shall besiege you in all your gates throughout all your land, which the LORD your God has given you.
(53) And you shall eat the fruit of your own body, the flesh of your sons and of your daughters, which the LORD your God has given you, in the siege, and in the straitness, by which your enemies shall distress you:
(54) So that the man who is tender among you, and very delicate, his eye shall be evil toward his brother, and toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the remnant of his children which he shall leave:
(55) So that he will not give to any of them of the flesh of his children whom he shall eat: because he has nothing left him in the siege, and in the straitness, by which your enemies shall distress you in all your gates.
(56) The tender and delicate woman among you, which would not adventure to set the sole of her foot upon the ground for delicateness and tenderness, her eye shall be evil toward the husband of her bosom, and toward her son, and toward her daughter,
(57) And toward her young one who comes out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, by which your enemy shall distress you in your gates.
(58) If you will not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD YOUR GOD;
(59) Then the LORD will make your plagues horrendously spectacular, and the plagues of your seed, even great plagues and sore sicknesses of long continuance.
(60) Moreover He will bring upon you all the diseases of Egypt, which you were afraid of; and they shall cleave to you.
(61) Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon you, until you are destroyed.
(62) And you shall be left few in number, whereas you were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because you would not obey the voice of the LORD your God.
(63) And it shall come to pass, that as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you
- to destroy you
- to bring you to nothing
- to pluck you from the land
(64) And the LORD shall scatter
- you among all people, from the one end of the earth even to the other; and there
- you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known, even wood and stone.
(65) And among these nations you shall find no ease, neither shall the sole of your foot have rest: but the LORD shall give you there
- a trembling heart
- failing of eyes
- sorrow of mind:
- your life shall hang in doubt before you
- you shall fear day and night
- you shall have no assurance of your life
(67) In the morning you shall say: I wish, God, it were evening! And at evening you shall say: I wish, God, it were morning! For the fear of your heart by which you shall fear, and for the sight of your eyes which you shall see.
(68) And the LORD shall bring you into Egypt again with ships, by the way of which I spoke to you,
- you shall see it no more again
- you shall be sold to your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen
- no man shall buy you [no value].